Valtrex as a medicine generically known as Valacyclovir is classified under antiviral medicines. Valtrex helps in slowing down the development and propagation of the herpes virus– this assists the body to counteract infections. Valtrex works effectively for the treatment of infections that are caused by some specific kinds of herpes viruses in adults. Children, not more than 12 years of age are treated of cold sore around the mouth with the use of Valtrex. Valtrex also works for the treatment of chickenpox caused by varicella zoster in children from two years old. Valtrex works for the treatment of shingles and for the treatment of cold sore around the mouth in adults. Valacyclovir hastens up the healing of sores and stops the reformation of new sores. Valtrex as a potent drug helps to lower itching or tenderness.
Valtrex as a potent medicine is from the following composite:
- Carnauba wax;
- Colloidal silicon dioxide;
- FD&C Blue No. 2 Lake;
- Magnesium stearate;
- Microcrystalline cellulose;
- Polyethylene glycol;
- Polysorbate 80;
- Titanium dioxide.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Duration of Treatment
You should endeavor to adhere to all instructions given specifically by your doctor. It is advisable to read carefully the prescription label and observe duly the directions therein. Ensure you take Valtrex accordingly as prescribed; not more, less or longer than it is required. The signs of effectiveness may not show up at the first two days of its use. You are advised to start the intake of Valtrex the moment you begin to experience symptoms such as blisters, burning or tingling. You are advised to use Valtrex medicine as prescribed relating to the duration of treatment. Avoid sudden withdrawal and missing doses. These may result in an unwanted outcome. Valtrex drugs may be taken with or without a meal. Ensure that you take enough quantity of water for the sake of your kidneys after the use of Valtrex. Inquire from your doctor every necessary thing to observe when on Valtrex.
Take the following precautions before or during the use of Valacyclovir:
- Patients that are hypersensitive to Valacyclovir or Zovirax should keep away from Valtrex.
- You are advised to bring any of the following medical conditions into your doctor’s awareness:
- The disease of the kidney or dialysis condition;
- Bone marrow transplant or kidney transplant;
- HIV/AIDS or other immune system weakened conditions.
- Pregnant women should seek the advice of their doctors before using Valtrex. The use of Valtrex may be harmful to an unborn baby.
- Lactating mothers should keep away from the use of Valacyclovir.
- Ensure you seek your doctor’s advice before using Valtrex for a child.
Ensure that you request for medical advice if you begin to experience the symptoms of hypersensitivity to Valtrex such as difficulty breathing, hives, and swollen lips, tongue, face or throat. The following are the common side effects of Valtrex:
- Stomach pain;
In a condition whereby you forget to use your prescribed dose, you can always take it at the moment of recollection. However, mind the time for the next dose if not close. Taking at once two doses that are supposed to be used at different times should be avoided.
Peradventure you take more than the prescribed doses, quickly see your doctor or call for emergency medical help.
Interaction with other drugs
The use of other drugs with Valtrex may result in serious damage to your kidneys. The following drugs may interact with Valtrex:
- Some types of antibiotics;
- Bowel disorders drug;
- Organ transplant rejection preventive medicine;
- Medicine for injectable osteoporosis;
- Some medicine for pain or arthritis;
- Prescription and over-the-counter medicines;
- Herbal products.