Seroquel generically known as Quetiapine falls under the class of drugs referred to as antipsychotic medicines that work effectively by transforming the actions of brain chemicals. Seroquel helps in the treatment of abnormal mental conditions such as schizophrenia or manic depression. It works in adults along with antidepressant drugs for the treatment of a depressive disorder. Seroquel helps with concentration and also reduces hallucinations. It decreases nervousness and positively affects your mood, appetite, sleep and the level of energy.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Duration of Treatment
You should make sure that all given instructions by your doctor are carefully followed. Read and observe the directions on the prescription label. Ensure that you do not take Seroquel medicine more or longer than it is prescribed. The Excessive or elongated use of Quetiapine may lead to an irreversible terrible movement disorder with signs like tremors or other muscle movements that cannot be controlled. The intake of Quetiapine drug may be supported with or without a meal in the late afternoon with enough quantity of water. You are supposed to swallow and not chew, crush or break Seroquel medicine. Diabetic patients should go for frequent blood sugar levels tests as the use of Seroquel may result in hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). Avoid sudden withdrawal from the use of Quetiapine which may exacerbate your condition. Regular blood pressure check-up should be done for children or teenagers on Seroquel medicine. Make proper inquiries from your doctor before the intake of Quetiapine.
It is advisable to take the following precautions before or when on the use of Seroquel:
- Patients that are hypersensitive to Seroquel should keep away from its use.
- The use of Quetiapine is restricted from patients with psychotic conditions (dementia-related conditions).
- The following medical conditions should be reported to your health care provider:
- The disease of the kidney or liver;
- Heart disease;
- Heart rhythm problems;
- Hypertension or hypotension;
- Abnormal thyroid tests;
- Swallowing problem;
- History of Heart attack, Stroke, diabetes or low white blood cell counts.
- The use of Seroquel may result in changes in mood or signs. Therefore, there should be an urgent report of this by your caregivers or family. There will be a need for frequent check up on for improvement.
- Women with pregnancy and those who have the tendency to be in such condition should seek the advice of their doctors before the use of Quetiapine.
- Lactating mothers should seek the advice of their doctors before the use of Seroquel.
- Children less than 18 years old should be restricted from the intake of Seroquel.
You are advised to call immediately for medical attention if you begin to experience allergic reactions such as difficulty breathing; swollen lips, throat, face or tongue; and hive. The following side effects may also occur with the use of Seroquel:
- Movement problem;
- Vomiting and nausea;
- Sore throat;
- Increased appetite;
- Weight gain;
- Dry mouth;
- Abdominal pain;
- Feeling dizzy and weak.
You are not expected to take an extra dose with your present dose if it escapes your mind to take it at the scheduled time. If it is to be taken, check properly if the time for the usage is not in close proximity to the next dose.
The excess intake of Seroquel tablet may be harmful to your health. Therefore, you are advised when overused to seek immediately for medical help.
Interaction with other drugs
Ensure you seek the advice of your doctor before starting a new medication. The interaction of Seroquel with other drugs such as antidepressants, antibiotics, antipsychotic drugs, heart rhythm dr, g and drugs for the treatment of malaria, HIV/AIDS, or cancer may lead to a chronic heart problem. Additionally, the drugs such as a sleeping pill, depression, narcotic pain drug, a muscle relaxer, prescription cough medicine, or medicine for anxiety, or seizures may have deadly side effects if used with Seroquel. You are also advised to get your doctor notified before interacting any of the under listed medications with Seroquel:
- Seizure medicine;
- Antibiotic or antifungal drugs;
- Antiviral medicine for HIV/AIDS or hepatitis;
- Heart or blood pressure drugs;
- Mental illness medicines;
- St. John’s wort;&
- Tuberculosis medicines;
- Prescription and over-the-counter medicines;
- Herbal products;