Provigil is generically known as Modafinil. It is a drug that helps to curb sleepiness. Provigil influences the chemical reactions in the brain. It works for the treatment of inordinate sleepiness that comes from sleep apnea, narcolepsy or sleep disorder.
Provigil tablets are in two dosage strengths of 100 and 200 mg of Modafinil. Provigil contains the following composite:
- Croscarmellose sodium;
- Lactose monohydrate;
- Magnesium stearate;
- Microcrystalline cellulose;
- Pregelatinized Starch.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Duration of Treatment
You are advised to adhere to all given instructions by your doctor or those found on the prescription label. You are expected not to take Provigil more, less or longer than it is required. Modafinil may influence your habit. You advised not to give this medicine to someone known for the abuse of drug or addiction. It may be used wrongly which may result in dangerous effects for the user. The drug should be thoroughly safeguarded. You may take Modafinil medicine in the morning for sleeplessness during the day it may be taken to prevent sleeping disorder during work time (take it an hour before the commencement of a work shift). Modafinil may be taken with or without a meal. Usually, Provigil is administered for 12 weeks or less. There may be a need for the use of a CPAP (a continuous positive airway pressure) machine when on the treatment of sleepiness which results from obstructive sleep apnea. You are expected not to discontinue the use of the CPAP machine unless told by your doctor.
Ensure you follow strictly the following precautionary measures before or when using Provigil:
- Patients that are allergic to Provigil should avoid the use of Modafinil.
- Patients that have skin rash during the use of Modafinil should keep away from the use of Provigil.
- Ensure you notify your doctor if you have a history of any of the following:
- Chest pain;
- Liver problem;
- kidney disease;
- High blood pressure;
- Heart disease or heart attack;
- Mental illness or psychosis;
- Alcoholism or drug addiction.
- Pregnant women or those that may become pregnant should inform their doctors before the use of Modafinil.
- Provigil may limit the effectiveness of certain birth control. Ensure you seek your doctor’s direction on the appropriate method to prevent pregnancy.
- Lactating mothers should seek the advice of their doctors before the use of Modafinil.
- Children under the age of 17 years old are restricted from the use of Provigil.
Ensure you notify your doctor if you begin to experience any sign of an allergic reaction to Provigil. These may be the inflammation of the throat or face, hives; difficulty in breathing; or severe skin reactions. The following some of the common side effects of Provigil:
- Nervousness or anxiety;
- Back pain;
- Stomach disorder;
- Stuffy nose.
In a situation whereby you forget to use your prescribed medicine, you can always take it at the moment of recollection. However, mind the time for the next dose if not close. Taking at once two doses that are supposed to be used at different times should be avoided. Do not use Modafinil if you do not plan to stay awake for hours. Avoid taking it when you decide to go to bed.
Peradventure you take more than the prescribed doses, quickly see your doctor or call for emergency medical help.
Interaction with other drugs
You are advised to notify your doctor before using any new medication with Modafinil. Inform your doctor about other medications you use. The following medications may interact with Modafinil:
- Prescription and over-the-counter medicines;
- Herbal products.